Cavities are a prevalent concern in oral health, affecting a significant percentage of the population.
Surprisingly, over 90% of adults have experienced fillings for cavities in the past, while approximately 26% have untreated cavities.
Detecting and addressing cavities early on is crucial to prevent further tooth damage and decay. Unfortunately, many individuals remain unaware of their cavities until the decay has progressed to the point where they need immediate dental intervention.
In this informative blog post, we will delve into the signs that indicate the presence of a cavity, equipping you with the knowledge to effectively identify and address them.
Cavity Symptoms to Watch for
Understanding how to identify the signs of a cavity is paramount for timely treatment. Here are some key symptoms to watch out for:
- Heightened Sensitivity: Do you experience lingering sensitivity to hot or cold foods and beverages? Worn-down tooth enamel exposes the underlying dentin, leading to increased sensitivity to temperature changes.
- Dark Spots or Discoloration: The presence of dark spots on your teeth may indicate a cavity. Pay close attention to any brown or black spots that grow in size, as they could be a sign of tooth decay.
- Persistent Toothaches: Toothaches are a prominent indicator of cavities. The pain may manifest as a dull, constant ache, and it can intensify when biting down. Inflammation around the affected tooth is typically the cause of the discomfort.
- Lingering Bad Breath: Bacteria in the mouth contribute to the development of cavities and can also lead to persistent bad breath. If you notice chronic halitosis, it could be an indication of an underlying cavity.
- Swollen or Bleeding Gums: In some cases, cavities occur near the gum line, resulting in symptoms that manifest in the gums. Keep an eye out for signs of swollen or bleeding gums, as they may serve as warning signs of a cavity or gum disease.
Treating Cavities with Dental Fillings in Quincy and Norwell
Now that you are familiar with the signs of a cavity, it is vital to remain vigilant and seek professional dental care if necessary. FFor expert cavity treatment options, visit Advanced Dental Arts. Our experienced dental team offers a range of effective treatments tailored to your unique needs. While dental fillings are a common method used to address cavities, the specific treatment will be determined based on a thorough evaluation of your oral health.
At Advanced Dental Arts, we provide comprehensive dental care services, including cavity treatment and the management of bleeding gums. Whether you require routine dental care or emergency dentist in Quincy or Norwell, our skilled team is here to assist you.